What you’ll be doing.
- Applying principled methods to quantitative insurance challenges, estimating customer lifetime value
- Building data processing pipelines to quickly iterate on research ideas and put them into production
- Creating reports and dashboards displaying insights from models and monitoring model performance
- Effectively communicating insights from complex analyses
- Taking end-to-end ownership of problem domains and continuously improving upon quantitative solutions
- Leverage internal and external data sources to engineer novel features that enhance the accuracy of our models
What we’re looking for.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline and/or 3+ years of applying advanced quantitative techniques to problems in industry
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of topics such as Bayesian statistics, machine learning, and numerical optimization
- Demonstrated experience applying statistical machine learning methods to enhance the decision making of an organization
- Exceptional communicator and storyteller
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern python or R packages. Experience with GBM libraries such as XGBoost or CatBoost is preferred
- Experience sourcing data for modeling from a star schema data warehousing architecture and feature engineering using SQL
Exceptional candidates may have experience in one or more of the following.
- Insurance rating plan development (personal lines auto insurance preferred)
- Insurance conversion and/or retention (churn) modeling experience
- Taking models to production and monitoring their performance
- Causal inference from observational data
- Generalized linear models, Tweedie distribution
- Using models to inform digital advertising or lead bidding decisions
- Experience using AWS cloud infrastructure (ec2, s3, Sagemaker)
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
Customer Service & Sales
8 open positions
6 open positions
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.