At Root, we’ve reimagined car insurance to make it smarter, more equitable, and a better experience for all. Using technology in smartphones, we’re able to measure driving behavior to give our customers the prices they deserve.
Providing customers with the right price is core to our business model. Most insurance companies trudge through the process, tweaking plans at a snail’s pace. At Root, we update our pricing constantly, leveraging data science-based models and nimble technology to maximize premium growth with loss performance. Product managers in the insurance organization are responsible for this important, yet difficult task. If not handled strategically, updating prices leads to a trade-off between growth and profit - the understanding of which requires the use of precise tools in favor of blunt instruments.
To this end, we believe in leveraging structured, rigorous thinking guided by the scientific process to create products that customers love and that benefit the company’s bottom line. Although this process takes longer, long-term profitability and customer loyalty matter more to us than short-term gimmicks that erode customer trust.
As a product manager, you will help develop an industry-leading class plan that utilizes innovative rating variables and methodologies in order to provide fair and accurate rates. Work with some of the brightest minds across data science, analytics, engineering, state management, and more to identify high-value opportunities that enable profitable growth and align with our mission of unbreaking the archaic insurance industry.
The ideal candidate has a strong product vision, an analytical mindset, experience working with internal partners, and well-honed product instincts to identify opportunities and deliver solutions that unlock customer value. You have a consistent track record of successfully taking end-to-end ownership and delivering results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. This role requires strong written and verbal communication skills, an entrepreneurial spirit, and the ability to lead effectively across functions.
Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you in working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
What you’ll achieve.
- You will help innovate Root’s product and drive profitable growth by developing and implementing new and complex pricing and product design strategies
- Create, manage, and adapt product roadmap to meet quarterly objectives/KPIs
- Understand technical requirements, technical ability, and product mechanics to quickly assess the feasibility of new ideas
- Lead a team of engineers to drive the full product life cycle, spanning ideation, design, implementation, testing, and iteration
- Break down work into weekly sprints and ensure the team meets execution goals
- Build out analytics capabilities and perform ongoing and ad-hoc analysis to assess product performance and extract new product insights
- Work cross-functionally to ensure new product designs meet the requirements of various stakeholders such as state management, regulatory, data science, and marketing
What we’re looking for.
- 5+ years P&C insurance experience. Preferred experience in insurance pricing or model development. Preferred experience building technology products.
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders on cross-functional teams
- Ability to manage multiple fast-moving projects while remaining organized
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly analytical; excel at leveraging customer research and analytics to drive product decisions
- Superior problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically and innovatively
- Roll-up-the sleeves work ethic and “do-what-it takes” attitude to efficiently execute and drive for results in a fast-paced work environment
- Exceptional leadership skills; naturally collaborative, excelling at influencing without direct authority
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
Customer Service & Sales
1 open position
4 open positions
2 open positions
4 open positions
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.