Software Engineer - II - Autopilot
( HQ: Columbus, OHIO)
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We’re actively hiring Engineers remotely and excited to announce that Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
Our tech stack includes:
- Ruby / Rails backend, RSpec for testing
- Small amounts of native iOS and Android
- Small amounts of Rust for high performance use cases
- Deployment to AWS ECS using containers
- Buildkite for CI
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
- Strong understanding of dynamic languages, client-server architecture, and web technologies
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software
- Experienced with multiple programming paradigms
- Substantial knowledge of databases, SQL, and version control tools
- Some understanding of infrastructure and devops
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes medium complexity tasks/projects without supervision
- Foresees issues and requirements for projects and features
- Completes pre-planned tasks in an efficient manner
- Can break down initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables with appropriate detail
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality
- Understands and takes into account business goals into their technical decisions
Working with Others
- Able to work with other engineers on the team to tackle complex issues
- Able to coach less experienced engineers on software engineering techniques and best practices
- Able to respond to feedback constructively and provide high-quality, actionable feedback to peers
- Work closely with Product to deliver high-quality features
- Communicates clearly and proactively with teammates and stakeholders across multiple departments
What we do on Autopilot
- Build a technology product that perpetually helps customers manage and find insurance that works best for them, regardless of whether that insurance product is serviced by Root.
- Integrate with third-party agencies and insurance carriers to build a seamless bridge between Root and the third party.
- Create services that allow customers to shop, purchase, and manage insurance agnostic of the agency or carrier that services the policy.
- Work across the entire stack: React, React-Native
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
1 open position
3 open positions
7 open positions
4 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
2 open positions
5 open positions
28 open positions
1 open position
1 open position
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.