Financial Systems Analyst II
HQ Location: Columbus, Ohio
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We're actively hiring Engineers for our Columbus, OH or Chicago, IL offices, as well as those who prefer to work remotely! Remote employees must be located in the United States and are expected to work either Eastern or Central timezone hours.
Technical Systems Analyst at Root is expected to wear many hats. Your primary objective is to collaborate with the Finance and Accounting teams to understand the organizational process and workflow needs and deliver solutions to fulfill those needs. You will drive the strategy and roadmaps for the implementation of major project initiatives, metrics, reporting, automation across various internal business units. As a driver of technical initiatives, you must exhibit a strong bias for action. You should draw on your personal engineering and finance experience to define a Financial Systems strategy and roadmap aligned with business needs partnering with key team leaders and stakeholders. You should be comfortable communicating with and influencing all levels of stakeholders through concise, timely, audience-appropriate verbal and written communications. As a member of a lean team, you should have the passion to roll up your sleeves and be involved in developing Pull Requests and writing SQL and other scripts.
We divide the areas of responsibility for members of the Engineering Team into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
Scope of Impact: Multiple Teams, Large Initiatives, or Company
What we look for in a Financial Technical Systems member:
- Expert-level knowledge of database technologies, SQL, and version control tools.
- Strong technical acumen–you can code and can communicate effectively with developers and analysts (infrastructure and/or software)
- Deep understanding of accounting and finance platforms such as Oracle PBCS and Netsuite.
- Ability to identify and drive engineering rigor and operational excellence opportunities to enhance our technical solutions.
- A knack for documentation to ensure and maintain setup details for all system configurations.
- Expert-level knowledge of DevOps and agile/scrum methodologies.
- Fluency in performing rigorous system analysis, design, and administration of financial systems.
- Familiarity with Finance and Accounting deliverables in an Insurance platform is a plus.
- Experience with SOX audit controls and maintaining compliant systems.
- Ability to be a strategic partner and Solution Architect to generate deep techno-functional detail in all accounting area in Oracle cloud ERP with experience in a technology company.
- Hands-on experience driving end-to-end Oracle product implementation in providing product direction to meet customer needs.
- Owns all aspects of Finance systems, including configuration, testing of system changes, report writing, system upgrades, and analyzing data flows for process improvement opportunities.
- Analyzes current processes and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Drives highly complex technical solutions partnering with cross-functional teams to achieve optimal engineering and business outcomes.
- Identifies technical, program, and product risks and negotiates the best course of action to achieve optimal business outcomes.
- Thinks both tactically and strategically to ensure effective end-to-end program management through a solid understanding of business requirements, timelines, and quality objectives.
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Internalizes business goals in their technical decision-making.
- Provides the ability to cultivate strong working relationships with business partners to understand business processes, process flows, business needs and analyze pain points, and identify viable solutions.
- Adapts communication to deliver the right message to the right audience.
- Builds partnerships with stakeholders to understand and drive business outcomes.
- Deep dives into requirements and solutions with engineering, business, and product teams to ensure outcomes deliver on organizational objectives.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
1 open position
4 open positions
3 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
1 open position
2 open positions
4 open positions
22 open positions
3 open positions
5 open positions
1 open position
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.