Root's Corporate Actuarial team ensures we're ready for the future, whatever it may bring. Overseeing our reserving, reinsurance, reporting, and capital modeling, they help us better understand unpaid claim liabilities and capital needs, and development strategies to optimize them.
We're looking for a Senior Actuarial Analyst to support Corporate Actuarial team. Utilizing sophisticated reserving methodologies, you'll work to improve analyses at a detailed level. Along with traditional reserving approaches and individual claim models, you'll support financial reporting for Root's Statutory and GAAP accounting (public entity). Finally, working alongside our Finance team, you'll help us better forecast our results and capital needs over short and long term horizons.
What you'll be doing:
- Support monthly financial reporting cycle including estimation of unpaid claims liability (reserving); application of tools and models, report building and process management, and application of advanced reserving methodologies
- Evaluate reinsurance structures to measure reinsurance efficiency and its potential impact on underwriting results and capital requirements; perform risk transfer analysis following proposed contract terms
- Support financial forecasting process across different reporting entities; assist in making model improvements and refining insurance parameter assumptions in collaboration with Finance
- Work closely with cross-functional disciplines, including accounting and finance, in providing deliverables for Statutory and GAAP accounting
- Automate more routine tasks and reports using platforms such as tableau
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years of P&C insurance experience in an actuarial role
- Intermediate experience in SQL or other similar database software
- Demonstrable programming experience with modeling in R, Python or other modeling software packages
Some things we'd prefer
- 3+ actuarial exams
- Loss reserving, reinsurance, or insurance financial modeling experience
- Familiarity with reinsurance accounting and risk transfer concepts
- Understanding of statistical modeling techniques applied to actuarial problems
- Project management skills
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
2 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
5 open positions
1 open position
3 open positions
1 open position
1 open position
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to email@example.com.