Root is seeking to add a motivated, industrious, and creative Legal Intern to assist our growing Legal department. You will assist the Legal team in a variety of duties with the goal of helping the team during an exciting time in the business.
This is a part-time internship lasting 3 months in duration (potential to be extended) and is to be completed in conjunction with law school course work. While this is a remote position, the Legal Intern is expected to be local to Columbus, OH with the ability to be onsite if needed at the Root offices with workloads of up to 20-25 hours per week. The ideal candidate will be in year 2 or 3 of law school and looking to gain exciting in-house experience at a rapidly-growing company.
What you'll be doing.
- Review and edit various company business agreements and documents.
- Utilize the Company’s contract lifecycle management tool by managing incoming inquiries, prioritizing requests, providing forms, documenting status, and managing contract execution and retention.
- Help create procedures and practices within the company to promote efficient workflows, including creating and managing form banks, and handling of legal requests.
- Assemble presentations for a wide variety of audiences.
- Assist with quarterly and annual public company processes and procedures.
- Conduct external legal research.
- Assist with document production and research internal records.
- Handle miscellaneous projects for the commercial and corporate teams.
What we’re looking for.
- Current second or third year law student.
- Highly organized and self-directed business style with strong ability to prioritize.
- Proven ability to translate and combine complex concepts, ideas, and solutions into a cohesive language and format easily understood by others.
- Exceptional critical and analytical thinking skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects in parallel.
- Demonstrated ability to execute under pressure and achieve objectives within tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with thorough grammatical, writing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to utilize standard software tools to create business documents, contracts, and supporting materials.
- Self-motivated, passionate, creative, and solutions-oriented.
- Strong sense of accountability, integrity, and ownership of work.
- An ability to work independently as well as be a team player.
Reports to: Senior Deputy General Counsel
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
4 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
7 open positions
1 open position
9 open positions
8 open positions
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to email@example.com.