We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework and a pragmatic data science approach of applying the right tool to the job in a way that balances accuracy and complexity. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern methods to problems in the insurance industry.
We are looking for a Data Science Engineer, Forecasting to join our Data Science Forecasting team. As part of this team, you will build tools to translate data science model predictions into forecasted business metrics. In this role, you will use software engineering skills paired with modern quantitative methods and best practices to deploy robust production models used in our forecasting process. You will work closely with Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and members of the Finance team to understand the detailed performance of our business and contribute to principled and sustainable growth.
The ideal candidate will have a software engineering background as well as experience with predictive modeling techniques in production on a data science team.
What you'll achieve.
- Scope, build, and test a forecasting application in Python
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the forecasting pipeline including data engineers, data scientists, and financial analysts to ensure data integrity and consistency
- Engineer production solutions for deploying the forecasting engine and adjacent machine learning models to end users.
- Identify opportunities for new machine learning models to support the forecasting process, and either implement these models or help scope these models for implementation by a data scientist
- Contribute to forecast and model diagnostics and monitoring with an emphasis on scalable self-serve analytics
- Think critically in your work to ensure functionality aligned with business goals
What we're looking for.
- 3-5+ years of experience in software engineering, 2+ years experience in data science or data analytics
- Deep understanding of multiple programming paradigms and languages—including Python—and strong front-end experience
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, version control tools, and agile software development practices
- Strong cross-functional communication and a disciplined approach to testing for system reliability and reasonableness of outputs
- Familiarity with complex financial modeling in Excel is a plus
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
5 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
7 open positions
1 open position
9 open positions
1 open position
8 open positions
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.