The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We're actively hiring Engineers remotely and excited to announce that Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
For more information on engineering at Root see root.engineering
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to come and join our scaling Information Security team. In this role, you will be responsible for managing a team of security engineers with expertise in securing our information systems and applications against the latest threats. This team is responsible for setting the bar when it comes to security standards for engineering - combining long term strategic plans toward target maturity levels with the excitement and challenge of adapting to an ever-changing/evolving threat landscape. Our technical leaders are expected to be hands on in the technical decision making process - although you won’t be writing code on a daily basis, we fully expect our engineering leaders to be able to read and write code, and more importantly both make and contribute to technical architecture decisions.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
What we look for in a Senior Security Engineering Manager:
- Experience securing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance, and reliability
- Significant experience and technical knowledge in security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, and application security
- Experience with risk identification and risk management techniques, including threat modeling
- Experience designing and/or reviewing the security of systems in conjunction with a development team
- Experience in secure software design, secure architectures, security testing, and vulnerability detection or remediation
Planning and Execution
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal process and maximum productivity
- Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor other managers and security engineers while building and maintaining high agility and high morale
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Working with Others
- Mentors and grows other engineers
- Sets and evaluates goals for direct reports
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Able to positively influence other engineers, both directly and indirectly
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move company’s priorities forward
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
Customer Service & Sales
3 open positions
3 open positions
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to email@example.com.