We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
The Pricing R&D team is looking for a Data Science Manager to lead and grow a team of data scientists responsible for continuously improving the predictive power of our pricing models. In this role, you'll oversee the research process from ideation to deployment, partnering with Product and Actuarial to build, evaluate, and implement segmentation enhancements. You'll be one part manager and one part individual contributor, providing technical leadership while working alongside your team to develop innovative pricing solutions.
The ideal candidate will have experience in Private Passenger Auto, with expertise in the research process, evaluation protocols, and post-deployment analytics.
What you'll be doing.
- Lead and grow a team of data scientists
- Scope, prioritize, and lead the execution of data science projects
- Provide technical and thought leadership to the Pricing R&D team
- Effectively communicate insights from complex analyses
- Improve risk segmentation through iterating on model development, feature engineering, and pre- and post-deployment
What we're looking for.
- 2+ years of experience in data science including predictive modeling, exploratory data analysis, and productionizing solutions
- Experience building and evaluating pricing models and risk segmentation plans
- Exceptional individual contributor and storyteller
- Strong foundational understanding of statistical modeling and machine learning
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern packages in R and Python
- 3+ years of applying advanced quantitative methods to pricing P&C insurance products
- 1+ years of management experience
- Experience in R or Python package development
- Experience with large-scale analytics on AWS platforms
- In addition to pricing, experience in reserving, finance, marketing, and/or telematics in P&C insurance
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
4 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
6 open positions
1 open position
9 open positions
8 open positions
Research & Development
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.