We’re hiring a Data Scientist / Lead Data Scientist in Columbus, OH
- Since this role will enjoy a considerable degree of autonomy, the ideal candidate must be comfortable making lots of decisions on his/her own, especially regarding the inner workings of analysis and predictive modeling.
- Open communication with software developers, business owners, and team members is crucial to success in this role. The ideal candidate is able to describe complex technical concepts to non-experts in simple terms. The ideal candidate is very comfortable speaking up constructively when any aspect of business operations or decision making is believed to be suboptimal. The ideal candidate will constantly strive toward excellence, and when mistakes are found, quickly inform anyone necessary to minimize their impact.
- Due to the diverse set of cutting-edge problems we face, you will need lots of different techniques to succeed, including some you will have to research, learn or create.
- Creativity and innovation are essential to success in this role, since many of the problems we work on have never been solved before.
- Mining raw text data for use in classification / predicting business outcomes.
- Topic classification based on raw audio recordings.
- Building models to detect fraudulent customer activity.
- Applying machine learning to image classification for key business applications.
- Identifying, evaluating, and productionizing new data sources (geospatial data, web scraping, etc.)
- Predictive modeling related to estimating the final cost of an open claim.
- Advanced R or Python
- Demonstrated experience in building, validating, and leveraging machine learning models
- Demonstrated experience with image classification and/or natural language processing
- Demonstrated skill with data mining, data munging, coping with missing / corrupt / unstructured data
- Deep understanding of key probability and statistics concepts
- Ability to identify and learn new tools and techniques as needed
- Passion for empirical research and answering difficult questions with data
- Strong problem solving skills, attention to detail and solid collaboration skills
- The ability to take an ambiguous business problem and translate it into a well-posed mathematical problem
- Experience using big data tools (ex: HDFS, Hadoop, Pig, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with anomoly detection methods
- Advanced physics knowledge
- Advanced linear algebra knowledge
- Experience with version control (preferably git/GitHub)
- Experience building insurance pricing models
- Experience with design of experiments
- Masters degree or Ph.D. in mathematics, physical sciences, or engineering
- 2+ years experience building predictive models in a business setting
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
- Android Telematics Engineer
- Director of Engineering - Mobile Telematics
- Engineering Lead - Mobile Telematics
- Information Security Program Manager
- iOS Telematics Engineer
- Junior Software Engineer
- Mid-Level Software Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer
- Vice President of Engineering
Corporate Dev & Strategy
- Claims Auto Damage Appraiser - Level One
- Claims Auto Damage Appraiser - Level Two
- Claims Liability Examiner - Level One
- Claims Liability Examiner - Level Two
If you’d like to be a part of what we are building but don’t see an opening that suits you, email us at [email protected].