- Experience with a dynamic programming language (Ruby, Python, etc.)
- Deep understanding of infrastructure-as-code, managing infrastructure via APIs, and deploying large scale systems reliably
- Experience with a major cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Understanding of network configuration, common protocols, and subnetting
- Understanding monitoring large systems, using SLOs/SLIs as a guide
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, and version control tools
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex tasks/projects autonomously, usually the most important initiatives scoped to the team
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Understands and takes into account business goals into their technical decisions
- Breaks down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
- Works with team lead to help define and guide the team roadmap
Working with Others
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Works across teams to tackle complex issues
- Positively influences other engineers, both directly and indirectly
- Mentors junior engineers (both inside and outside of the team)
Get In Touch
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless. Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business. Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn. People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.
3 open positions
6 open positions
4 open positions
12 open positions
Customer Service & Sales
8 open positions
5 open positions
11 open positions
3 open positions
10 open positions
Research & Development
Business Dev & Strategy
1 open position
Corporate Dev & Strategy
Don’t see your job?
Send your resume and what you’d love to do to firstname.lastname@example.org.