We’re hiring a Director of Underwriting in Columbus, OH
- Responsible for drafting, updating and revising various underwriting rules and guidelines for all new and renewal business.
- Responsible for ensuring accurate execution of underwriting rules across all products and jurisdictions.
- Responsible for monitoring the compliance and profitability of specified product lines from an operations and underwriting perspective.
- Participates in the rate review process with actuarial, data science, product and legal staff to assure quality products, adequate pricing and to meet the needs of our insureds and the marketplace.
- Participates in review of prospective products and makes appropriate recommendations in regard to acceptance criteria and overall underwriting risk.
- Consults with product, claims, finance, legal and other internal partners on all matters of underwriting operations.
- Ensures that updates to underwriting guidelines for both new business and renewals are clearly communicated to all Root stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Participates in the review and continual improvement of policy contract language, endorsement language and policy amendment language to help customers better understand ongoing changes to the underlying policy contract.
- Remains up-to-date on developments in the field of personal lines underwriting by pursuing a program of self-development, participating in professional organizations, interacting with peers and reviewing pertinent literature.
- Reports to management on key metrics, plans, issues and strategic initiatives.
- Pro-actively communicates state risk exposure nuances related to various personal line product exposures.
- Reviews and recommends exposure changes to management.
- Requires 10+ years of personal lines industry business experience, including proven experience with personal passenger auto.
- Undergraduate degree preferred. Equivalent work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- CPCU designation preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills. Proven leadership experience with an ability to collaborate and maintain relationships with a variety of individuals internally and externally.
- Strong interpersonal skills; adept in relationship building.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and align activities to meet goals in ever-changing environments and market conditions.
- Requires a developed technical knowledge of underwriting, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting of risks.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- Proven ability to review contracts and policy terms.
- Demonstrated innovator not satisfied with the status quo, who actively seeks new or better processes.
- Occasional travel.
Finding the right people to help us build Root is a top priority. Whether you would like to explore the possibility of working together or simply learn more about the position, we’d love to hear from you!
- Android Telematics Engineer
- Director of Engineering - Mobile Telematics
- Engineering Lead
- Information Security Engineer
- iOS Telematics Engineer
- Manual QA Specialist
- Mid-Level Software Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer
- Claims Auto Damage Appraiser - Level One
- Claims Auto Damage Appraiser - Level Two
- Claims Auto Damage Supervisor
- Claims Liability Examiner - Level One
- Claims Liability Manager
- Data Analyst, Pricing
- Data Scientist
- Data Scientist, Telematics
- Insurance Pricing Auditor
- NLP Data Scientist
If you’d like to be a part of what we are building but don’t see an opening that suits you, email us at [email protected].